Which ladder do I use for this application? How far out can I angle the ladder and still have it be safe? Are there any accessories that I could use that would make ladder work easier and safer? All these questions and more can be easily answered using the National institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Ladder Safety app. The app is available in English and Spanish and can be downloaded for free on an android or iphone. According to the CDC website these are the specific tools that app has:
- Angle Measuring Tool: The app uses visual, sound, and vibration signals to make it easier for users to set an extension ladder at the proper angle (approximately 75 degrees) and to check the verticality of extension and step ladders.
- Selection Tool: The app provides a procedure to select the minimum required ladder duty rating corresponding to user characteristics and task.
- Inspection Tool: The app includes a comprehensive checklist for ladder mechanical inspection.
- Proper Use Tool: The app includes a set of rules for safe ladder use in a user-friendly format.
- Accessories Tool: The app includes a number of available extension ladder safety accessories.
Once you know your ladder is at the right angle and that you are using the correct one, be sure that slip and falls are under control by installing ladder rung covers or by specifying slip resistant ladder rungs on new ladder construction. SLIPNOT ladder rung covers are easily welded or bolted on to existing ladder rungs instantly creating a safe surface. The rungs are highly versatile as they are available in steel, galvanized steel, aluminum and stainless steel making them the ideal solution to any type of workplace situation. Keep employees safe by downloading the ladder app and making them slip resistant!