ADA Compliant Metal Ramps
Before an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) metal ramp is installed, the following codes must be met.
- Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 shall be considered a ramp.
- The maximum slope in new construction shall be 1:12 and the maximum riser shall be 30 inches.
- The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36 inches.
- Ramps shall have level landings at the bottom and top of each run.
- If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6 inches or a horizontal projection greater than 72 inches, then it shall have handrails on both sides.
- The cross slope of ramp surfaces shall be no greater than 1:50.
- Ground and floor surfaces along accessible routes and in accessible rooms and spaces including floors, walkways, ramps, stairs, and curb ramps shall be stable, firm, and slip resistant.
- Ramps and landings with drop-off shall have curbs, walls, railings, or projection surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs shall be a minimum of 2 inches high.
- Outdoor ramps and their approaches shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces.
SLIPNOT provides slip resistant ADA compliant products that can be retrofitted over existing metal ramps to create a high traction surface or can be newly constructed. ADA compliant products offered bySLIPNOT consist of solid plate, high heel safe grating, or ¼” diameter perforated plate.
All SLIPNOT alloys (steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel, and aluminum) have been extensively tested, evaluated and approved by agencies, municipalities, and companies throughout the country. SLIPNOT products are also certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and are evaluated at over double the UL’s requirement for slip resistant materials. ADA mandates a 0.80 coefficient of friction (COF) for inclined surfaces and SLIPNOT products exceed OSHA and ADA requirements with a minimum of 0.85 COF. SLIPNOT has a file hard surface between 55-63 on the Rockwell “C” scale and a bond strength of at least 4,000 psi.
Guidelines for Coefficient of Friction
|ADA Flat Surfaces||0.60 COF|
|ADA Incline Surfaces||0.80 COF|
Bare metal ramps can lead to slips, trips and falls if they become wet. Choosing SLIPNOT as a slip resistant solution for ADA compliant ramps may dramatically reduce accidents. SLIPNOT interior and exterior metal ramps are used in many applications such as entryway wheelchair ramps, forklift ramps, floor scale ramps, and freezer ramps. SLIPNOT is a durable and long lasting surface compared to painted-on or taped-on products.