Non slip flooring products are important in any industry. Whether you need to keep people safe in the slippery environment of a steel mill, on the dangerous platforms of an oil rig or on the marble stairs leading up to your office, pedestrians and workers alike need to be kept on their feet. According to the National Safety Council over 9 million slip and fall accidents happen per year resulting in expenses of 3.5 million dollars per hour every day of the year. This is a problem that everyone should learn how to prevent. Choosing the correct non-slip flooring product for your situation will help eliminate the chances of having a slip and fall accident happen on your property.
How to choose the correct non slip flooring:
- Determine the areas that need to be slip resistant:
- What areas are causing problems? Employees can be a very good resource when it comes to determining the best areas to place non slip flooring. They travel the same areas day after day and are very familiar with their surroundings.
- Determine a budget:
- What can your company afford? Non-slip flooring products drastically range in price and quality. It is good to have a sense of what amount of money you can spend on this project after determining how large of a project you are going to make this.
- Determine how long you would like the product to last:
- Are you looking for a permanent flooring solution that will replace your current floors, or would you be happy with a tape on product or non-slip mat that will need to be frequently replaced?
- Research your options:
- Find a product that meets federal standards and recommendations. Both OSHA and ADA have recommendations when it comes to the Coefficient of Friction (COF) of a non slip flooring product. Make sure you choose an option that meets these standards.
- Ask for a sample of the products you have in mind. Most companies will gladly send you samples of their non-slip flooring products. Generally samples are small however some companies will fabricate a piece of flooring for you to actually install in a slippery area of your facility.
- Get a quote on the product or products you feel will work best for your needs. Most companies will need either the square footage of the area you would like to cover with their non-slip flooring product or the exact measurements of the area.
- Purchase and install:
- Once you feel that you have chosen the best product for your situation purchase the non-slip
flooring and have it installed. Some companies provide installation, others do not. Find this out
before purchasing so there are no surprises when the product arrives.
Whether you are looking at a temporary or permanent non-slip flooring solution, slippery areas present a very dangerous situation for people and companies alike. Take the time to find the right product for your situation.