Liberty Mutual Insurance recently released its annual index, the Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index. The index lists the the top 10 causes of serious, nonfatal workplace injuries based on their direct costs to US businesses. By highlighting the main causes of workplace injuries, Liberty Mutual hopes to help employers, risk managers and safety practitioners improve workplace safety by allowing them to properly allocate safety resources to the most hazardous and risky areas. The 2018 index analyzed data from 2015.
The top 10 causes of serious, nonfatal workplace injuries are:
- Overexertion involving outside sources ($13.7 billion)
- Falls on same level ($11.2 billion)
- Falls to lower level ($5.9 billion)
- Struck by object or equipment ($5.3 billion)
- Other exertions or bodily reactions ($4.2 billion)
- Roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicle ($3.2 billion)
- Slip or trip without a fall ($2.3 billion)
- Caught in or compressed by equipment or objects ($2.1 billion)
- Struck against equipment or object ($2 billion)
- Repetitive motions involving micro-tasks ($1.5 billion)
Total costs to businesses throughout the year totaled almost $60 billion, with close to $52 billion coming from the top 10. General manager of risk control at Liberty mutual, James Merendino, had this to say, “To effectively improve safety, each employer needs to understand the root causes of the most serious workplace injuries they experience, and the ways to effectively mitigate these through training, equipment and work design.”
SLIPNOT® Metal Safety Flooring can help in your endeavours to mitigate the risks of slip and trip accidents. SLIPNOT® manufactures slip resistant metal flooring products that exceed all recommendations and standards for coefficient of friction specified by ANSI, NFPA, ADA and OSHA. SLIPNOT®‘s slip resistant products are available in steel, stainless steel, aluminum and galvanized steel. SLIPNOT® can be used in a variety of industries and has helped thousands of customers keep more workers, visitors, pedestrians, and drivers safe. Some of SLIPNOT®‘s customers include: The Boeing Company, Tyson Foods, Inc. and the Florida Department of Transportation. You can access case studies on SLIPNOT® products here.
Resources: Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index, Serious work-related injuries and illnesses cost U.S. employers more than $1 billion a week: report