Accident Fund is launching a safety campaign called S.A.F.E. (Slip and Fall Elimination) to help policyholders prevent slip and falls this winter. Throughout the season customers will have access to winter safe tips such as snow and ice removal, proper salting techniques and proper footwear. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 20% to 30% of people who experience a slip and fall suffer moderate to severe injuries such as bruises, hip fractures, or head injuries. On top of these injuries it can be extremely costly.
The S.A.F.E. campaign may focus on sidewalks and parking lots which become extremely slick in changing weather conditions. Some important things to remember include:
- Ensuring that the parking lots and sidewalks have been constructed to be slip resistant and have drainage to prevent rainwater and ice accumulation.
- A rule of thumb is depending on the amount of snowfall, snow removal should be performed every four hours for as long as the snow falls and once it stops.
- The correct amount of lighting should be provided so pedestrians can see where they’re going at all times.
- Sidewalks and parking lots should be free of holes, cracks or depressions.
- Sidewalks and parking lots should be de-iced with salt or ice-melter when necessary. Be mindful of areas where the sun will melt snow and ice during the day and freeze overnight.
These only touch on a couple highlights but will help create awareness. When looking into slip resistance for sidewalks or parking lots, you may consider SLIPNOT Metal Safety Flooring. SLIPNOT manufactures a durable and slip resistant metal coating which will give pedestrians better traction.
“OSHA Establishes New NEP for Primary Metal Industries”. PR Newswire. December 2, 2011. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/accident-fund-announces-winter-safe-campaign-to-help-prevent-slip-and-fall-claims-134901808.html